Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Lent starts today!
For the last several years, I've observed Lent. No, I'm not Catholic. But I like the idea of it, so it's a tradition I will borrow as long as I can come up with things to give up. Last year I gave up treats entirely, and that was probably the most difficult of all my Lents. I don't even eat sweets that often, but once I tell myself I can't have them they start appearing everywhere and beckoning to me like little demons. Not this year, my little demons! This year I am giving up a recent addiction...which some of you know about. For those who don't, please allow me to simultaneously announce and renounce my affinity for these:



Oh dear. I miss them already.

I found this statement about Lent: "Lent is a great time to break a bad habit and give it to the Lord. These sins and vices we should not take back after Lent."

Oops. In years past I haven't really followed that counsel. I tend to binge after the 40-day period. But in this case, I really do want to break a habit and not return to it. Not because the little fishies are so very bad..but because they are a so very weak substitute for actual nutrition. It's taken me several months to realize this, and now that my hair is falling out and my skin is weird, the fishies can no longer fool me into thinking they're a meal. No more, starting today!

Goodbye goldfish. See you on Easter.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I finally know of another fishie addict. I eat these every day. The parmesian are even better than the cheddar though I was in denial about that for quite some time. Way to give up something you love. That my friend is sacrifice.