Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Don't drink the Gatorade











Ah. The trip of the summer.

Last weekend I, with 16 of my closest friends, drove 10 hours and hiked 10 miles into this beautiful desert oasis in Supai, AZ. It was so super duper fun, really. And super duper hard on my feeble body. So it's a pretty short trip for such sore muscles, but totally worth it.

Havasupai means "people of the blue-green water" or something, which is a really good description. Well, of the water, I guess. I didn't have much to do with the people. As you can see, the water is beautiful, crystally blue-green and, as Becky's gangrenous left foot will testify, looks deceptively clean and pure. I likened it to blue Gatorade Rain, liberally laced with staph bacteria. Mmmm. Pleasant.

Some highlights:
--Swimming behind Havasu Falls (pic above) and jumping through the raging water
--Navajo Falls. That's all I can say.
--My feet done up in full armor from Camp Counselor Katherine's first aid kit
--The Love Train. If you don't know I'm not telling you.
--Mule carcasses
--Climbing up Beaver Falls with a million other people...like so many zombies
--Loaded Baked instant mashed potatoes
--40-foot cliff jumping. And enemas.
--Laura threatening to kick that girl over the cliff.
--Unsolicited massages
--The look those hard core hikers gave me when they saw me trucking up the trail in nothing but an orange polka-dotted swimsuit and hiking boots. While sweating my brains out. And singing Les Mis. I think I'll run for Miss Havasupai 07.

I need to do a nice summer re-cap blog. I've done much this summer and I think maybe this is my year. Since I seem to be doing most of my living in the short 3-month summer span, I guess my life is over now that it's September.
Actually, September is my favorite month. Hooray!



Here are some more pics for the fans. It was amazing and we had a great group. I am very grateful for good friends and good husbands of those friends. If polygamy comes back I think I'll be set. That statement is not to be taken as lusting after husbands--Think of it more as appreciating chivalry.

8 comments:

Lohra said...

For the record, I didn't threaten...I merely suggested in good humor.

Melinda said...

and just whose husband would you choose?
and Lohra- if you're referring to the muskrat I was threatening the same thing. That, or daring her to jump off a higher, more life-threatening falls...which I'm sure she would accept.

Carly said...

love havasupi! we went there a really long time ago...looks like a blast.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your pictures. It was almost like seeing everyone again.

Anonymous said...

"I laugh at humor" is all I have to say.
-Candice

Milly said...

looks like you had a freaking blast! it is so beautiful there!

Ali said...

So I found your blog of Carly's. I'm a stalker! But how funny, my Davis High world and Provo world collide....you know Kirk Waters? That trip looks like such a fun time! Also, you work at Thomas Arts? Know Sarah Liddell? I love her!

Shannon said...

where are the green pebbles?