Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Instincts

I started this post awhile ago, so it's sort of old news. Oh well.
************************************************************************************************************************************

I had an earthquake for an alarm clock today.


I jolted awake, still in a complicated dream. Then I felt another jolt and my mind flashed back to my elementary school days, when we talked about earthquakes. Then my sensible side kicked in and decided I was imagining it. I laid back down and wondered if the trembling was my own. Deciding it wasn't, I got out of bed and used that fine earthquake training to look for a door jamb*. I wasn't so fully clothed and I also wasn't so fully awake, but I was aware enough to realize that my room is a bit of a death trap. After it all stopped and I got back in bed, it took me awhile to fall asleep again.

My co-workers today confirmed that indeed, Pico Rivera experienced a 4.4 magnitude earthquake at 4:04 am. That's a lot of 4s.

The funny thing is that right before I fell asleep last night, I had the thought that since I wasn't fully clothed, if anything happened it would be awkward to run around in my skivvies. I usually sleep in full pajama armor, so I decided I would grab a nearby sweatshirt in the event of an emergency and call it good. I don't usually run through my emergency plan before I go to bed, in case you're wondering.

That's probably just a coincidence, right? I wonder. I wonder if my instincts were kicking in.

I find instinctive behavior so fascinating. It blows my mind that I always know when a phone call is bringing me bad news. It's like the phone rings differently, signaling me to gear up for what's coming next. The other night my roommate came home kind of late, and something about the way the garage door sounded made me wonder if she was ok. So I went and asked her. She was physically ok, but had had a hard day and was in tears about it. How in the world does a garage door translate into somebody needing emotional help? No idea.

That's not to say my instincts are always correct, or even noticed. But I find it amazing how many times I've known something was about to happen before it does. Not in a visionary sort of way, but...just somehow. The question, though, is how you know when it's instinct (and thus actionable) and when it's imagination. The other night I walked to my favorite taco place a few blocks away, and as I sat down to eat, a man came up and made conversation. He asked if I lived around here and I found myself saying "Yeah, I just walk over" before I even thought about the fact that he was a stranger and I was alone. The whole remainder of my meal was spent wondering if the creepy feeling building in me was a warning instinct or just paranoia. I sincerely expected this man to wait for me outside in the dark and follow me home. But he didn't.

So how do you know? That's my question for you, dear readers.

************************************************************************************************************************************
* Turns out, the old "door jamb" method is very outdated. Coming from earthquake-free (so far) Utah, I had no idea. I wonder what else I'm totally unprepared for.

9 comments:

Shannon said...

I read a book about how to protect your children and it talks a ton about this very concept. The take-home message was that those gut instincts are not just coincidental- they are usually valid for some reason or another and that you should pretty much always act on them. I believe it too. I really think people's "energies" can give you a creepy feeling and that you shouldn't ignore that. Not that you should act on every little thought, but if you're getting negative feelings from an individual, leave! or certainly don't give them any info about yourself...

Unknown said...

Stef!
I want you to go right now out and buy yourself some pepper-spray. I have worried about you running alone, driving alone and eating alone and you can call this an instinct. I have read lately about some pretty awful things happening to females in southern California, so do not delay!!! Call me paranoid but I have pretty good instincts too.
Mom

Katrina said...

Stef, I always thought it was just coincidence, but it's true, I almost always know it's Rich when he calls on the phone. There's just something about his ring, and no, it's not a fancy-schmancy ring tone it's just an old school regular phone, regular ring.

And please don't be telling strange men that you walk alone around your neighborhood!

A STAR is born said...

Mom (and sisters), to ease your concerns a bit, you must know that I'm pretty paranoid. That moment of telling this man about myself was an atypical thing for me. I think it was a programmed response to a conversation you'd have with any normal person under normal circumstances. And I don't usually do things alone at night--especially running. But I will walk somewhere close because lots of people are out and about. HB feels very safe to me, compared to maybe some other parts of So Cal.

That said, I might get some pepper spray. Is there something else that inflicts more damage, though? Pepper spray seems weak if something were to really happen...

Unknown said...

Just get some pepper spray, weak or not, it is something. Check with your roommates and friends there and see what they have. Maybe you should learn some Karate.
Paranoid Mom

Lohra said...

I also insist on you learning Karate. There's nothing like honing your instincts like a little eat-your-face Karate Kid action...or is that something else? Oh well.

Ryan, Natalie and kids said...

Are these real people interested in you, or is this blogging spam? I actually had a good friend when I was in the pharma world who taught me some self defense and it was very easy, insightful, and could inflict serious harm. I recommend a self defense class for you. Not just cuz you live in Cali, but for all women. WOMAN POWER! Down with the dirty pervs!

Jen Snow said...

I must admit that I think about what I would throw on in the event of an emergency in the middle of the night. I often leave slip on shoes, shirt & shoes near my bed, just in case. I agree about the pepper spray. It's better than nothing. If you were to carry a gun, which I can't see you do, there are huge implications to that too. Not that CA would let you carry one. I have a concealed weapons permit. One of the things you have to consider is, are you mentally prepared to take another persons life? It's a big question. Instead of packing heat, I'd go for the spray! And learn self defense. It's good for everyone.

Jen Snow said...

I meant slip on shoes, shirt & pants. Where's my head today? I have nothing else on my mind, right? :)