Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Musical Musings

I really wanted this post to be awesome and click-able, so you could hear the music I'm talking about. But that proves far too complicated and time-consuming than the lazy blogger can handle. So, if you're really interested, just ask me for details and I will reply. Then you can find anything you want using any methods you want. And if you know a good way to do this on Blogspot (without illegally downloading music), please let me know. Mwah.

1) There must have been a rash of incidents involving men dressing up as women and seducing unsuspecting m
en—a veritable Transvestite Epidemic. Just listen to such songs as “Lola” (I know what I am and what I am is a man, and so is Lola—La la la la Lola”) and “Dude Dressed Like a Lady”. Was this problem really so prevalent? As an isolated incident, maybe it warrants one song, but wow. Confusing times.

2) There’s this song about me by Sting, called “All Four Seasons.” More accurately, it’s about some guy who’s helplessly in love with me, despite my mood shifts.

3) I dare you to find better jogging music than The Sounds. Bring it!

4) One time a boy put my favorite Eva Cassidy song on a random, impulsive mix for me, because he knew I liked it. I’m sure there was no other deep meaning attached—he simply knew I liked it. Little did h
e know what that song does to me! He declared passionate love to me without even meaning to. Such a reckless use of sacred music. Idiot.

5) I’m willing to
bet that the guys from Depeche Mode were the kind of kids who would raise their hands in Sunday school or in sex ed and say that thing that makes everyone cringe. “Vows are spoken to be broken…” or “God’s got a sick sense of humor and when I die I expect to find Him laughing…” etc. These things are designed to set your teeth on edge.

6) Have you ever seen someone rocking out so thoroughly, even violently, in their car that you expect a crash? Have you ever been that person? When I see that, I always wonder if it’s happy music or scary, pulsing, screamo music that they’re rocking out to.

7) Few things move me like music does. Last time I was agonizing over something in my perceived state of solitude, itunes providentially switched to the Killers, and I sang/prayed along as what’s his face repeated “You know you gotta help me out /
yeah, you know you gotta help me out / No don’t you put me on the backburner, you know you gotta help me out. It’s awfully self-absorbed to think songs are written for/about me as much as I do.

8) My college roommate Sarah had this quote on her wall from Pearl Jam: “I
know some day you’ll have a beautiful life. I know someday you’ll be the sun in somebody else’s sky.” I’ll never forget that, for some reason.

9) Here’s an idea: Keep a playlist in your itunes called “Right Now”. Next time you’r
e doing something mindless (folding laundry, cleaning, getting ready for prom), take a minute to select 10-15 songs for this list. Just go quickly through all your songs and throw in the ones that immediately catch your eye. I’ll typically keep a list for a few days (listen to it several times) and then clear it out without looking at it and start over. You’ll know when to clear it, when it’s time for a new Right Now. I think it’s really interesting to see what I choose at different times.

10) If I could name one artist who most expressed the music that would come out of me, it would be Damien Rice. I promise I’m not always so anguished as that—I just think music would come out of me mostly when I was anguished, so it would sound like that….Anyway, the happy music that would come out of me would be like The Origin or sometimes OMD or other 80s stuff.

11) John Mayer may have a raspy voice and not the cutest face in the world, but some of him is pretty amazing. “You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes—it brought me back to life.”

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Great entry.
-Candice

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Love it

Carly said...

if one musician came out of me it would be M.Ward or Badly Drawn Boy. I liked this post.

lizdye said...

I too will never forget the quote on Sarahs wall.

Lohra said...

Random...interesting--just like you.

Shannon said...

What kind of music were you listening to on your way back from my birthday lunch? When Trina and I passed you, I said, "Whoa, look at that girl. Oh, it's Stef!" And then we laughed the rest of the way home since I'm so dense. I now you were doing it bo be funny, but we all know it's not very far from the real Stef.

A STAR is born said...

Shan--I'm glad you explained that because I thought you two laughed really hard at something that was neither unexpected or all that funny, really. I caught myself thinking "Wow, easy crowd." I don't remember the song but I do remember that I really was rocking out and maybe 10% of it was for your benefit.

Anonymous said...

I'm soo glad that you are running to The Sounds!! There really is nothing better. I basically owe Candice my life for introducing me to the best band ever. They aren't as good, but Paramore's Riot album is great too. Ran to them TODAY in fact! It was fab.

Lata rockstar!
Jen

Megan said...

Stunning. I'm on your side with Depeche Mode. I associate them with some of my 14 year old students, sadly. If they only knew.

Ryan, Natalie and kids said...

So this might be someone you already know and hate, but do you like Paolo Nutini? I love him...he's so right now. Or not, I'm always 5 years behind in music. You should call me when you go to Lizdye's cuz I'd like to see her and that's so close to me. If you want. You should see Regina (ra-jy-na), she's huge.