Thursday, August 27, 2009

The hood


*Note: This is the picture that comes up when you Google "Juvenile delinquent"

Today is my work anniversary. 2 years! Huzzah. I knew it would be a special day, but I was none too prepared for its very exciting beginning. Observe:

There I was at 8:30, basking in my suburban bliss at my kitchen table and so spiritually studying my scriptures when I heard a ding dong dingg dong BAM BAM BAM sound at my front door. Anyone who comes calling that way is either up to no good, or is the UPS man. I opened the front door, expecting the latter, and was greeted by three teenage girls, panting and sweating and asking to come in and use my phone because they were under attack. ATTACK! So of course I let them in, told them to lock the door, and ran to get my phone. While they made some calls, I asked what happened and they told me they were walking to Trax when a man tried to pull one of them into his car. So they ran away as fast as they could. To my front door. It's a really welcoming front door, so I don't blame them. Now informed, I suggest we call the police as they call for a ride, and one girl says her uncle is in the police department so she'll tell him. Meanwhile, she calls a boy named "Babe" and asks him to pick her and "two chicks" up at the "some lady's" house because "something happened that I'll tell you about later." She then directs Babe to the area by telling him it's by Trax and Youth Services.

Hmmm.

Do you, the average blog reader, know about Youth Services? Yeah, I wouldn't either if I didn't live near it. Strange that these teenagers--aka YOUTH--know right where it is. Apparently Babe knows all about it too.

Hmmm. I may be just some old lady whose house they randomly chose, but I'm no dummy. My Sherlock sense was kicking in....albeit slowly.

So I ask questions. Where were you going? Where were you walking from? Who is this picking you up? How about that call to the police?

Things suddenly got less threatening outside. The girls realized they had an abundance of resources to call upon, namely friends' houses nearby, various rides who could pick them up at various locations, etc. And the scary man who tried to abduct them? No worries, he didn't follow them. For sure.

So....I let them go. Don't criticize me for my bad Samaritanism. My instincts told me that if the girls didn't feel any danger in returning to the streets of SoSaLa, then I didn't need to either. So I gave them water and sent them on their way. And then I made a call to my friend who works for Youth Services.

"Yes, indeed we are missing 3 girls. They ran away this morning."

I aided and abetted, with water and a phone.
I feel so used.
Youth of America, I'm sorry to tell you that this lady is totally going to rat you out if you come knocking on my door. It's for your own good.

14 comments:

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Wow! What an exciting morning. I'm glad they didn't 'force' you to help them with their devious plan. You are a good detective.

Shannon said...

Man, why does all the fun stuff happen to you? ;)

Candice said...

They sure knocked on the right door. Old Ladies are the biggest suckers.

lizdye said...

You did the right thing if you ask me. You took them in and helped them out, and even if they are on the run, its possible that their charges are totally lame. I worked with a girl who was locked up for killing a duck...

Carly said...

This is hilarious! I was worried they were scoping your house for valuables or something... good thing they were just running away from youth services!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Stef! It could have been a set-up, big time. After all, you live in an affluent area. You should have called the police for them right off. As for you Candice, who are you calling old lady??
This "old lady" is very hep, watches Law and Order all the time.

A STAR is born said...

Mom, have you seen where I live?

Shannon said...

I didn't realize that watching Law and Order was hep.

Unknown said...

I mean, Stef, where you live looks affluent compared to what's around it.

Melinda said...

Does McCall know about this occurrence? I think she'd be afraid, be it run away young delinquents or old homeless men, she's not safe in the world!

Jen said...

I just love it. A comment to another commenter. Awesome! Stef, you live such an interesting life..."If I could be like Stef".

Elisha said...

This story kind of makes me want to come visit you and see exactly where you live. You've got the best blog stories by far!

Ryan, Natalie and kids said...

What are youth services? I'm so confused why they have to run away, and why you have a friend "on the inside," of youth services. Happy Anniversary. You should post a really cute pic of you and work together and call it babe. Babe is my fav name.

Angie said...

I wouldn't have even figure it out that far, I'm impress. I always think everyone has good intentions:)