Tuesday, September 30, 2008

September

Today I said goodbye to September.

True, some days I said I wanted to sleep through this month. It hasn't treated me the way I would expect a favorite to—sometimes it almost felt like February. But one doesn't alway love a thing because of how nice it is, or because it earns it. Sometimes you love something simply because it exists, because it's a part of you. When I looked at the calendar and saw tomorrow, I realized that today holds so much of finality, of things needing to be put to rest.

So I took a drive. I chose a route I don't travel every day but that is still dimly familiar. It began as something of a stress reliever, with wind in my hair and the music turned up loud. Soon, however, I started to see things that pulled the full weight of farewell firmly into my thoughts.

I saw hints of deep colors, muted by the lateness of the season, and receded waters that spoke of more abundant times. I saw pockets of intense, unexpected storms, with painful jabs of lightening and blood-tinged clouds—like those days when the cold came suddenly and reached all the way to my heart, when the emptiness filled my bones without words and without touch, and I knew the coming winter would be the coldest I've weathered. Those storms fought for my attention, but they were surrounded by mild, comforting, everyday sky to draw my eyes away.
I followed winding roads, sometimes expecting the curves ahead and at times being surprise by how sharply they cut through the scenery. I recognized that shoreline, that peak, that wandering path. I glanced at that arbitrary roadside stall, and the significance of it took my breath away.

As the sun set on my scene, I wished for more. More light, more warmth, more of the colors I can now only illuminate with my imagination. Eventually I yielded, and said goodbye to something so beautiful—how achingly beautiful I can never convey, no matter how well you think you know these parts.

I am infinitely sad to see it go, but I hope there will be other Septembers...or, at the least, a few great Octobers.

7 comments:

lizdye said...

Wow, I love to hear you write and I hate that it is October. But if I wasnt October I wouldnt have been able to read that so thank you stef and thank you october..

Cody and Val said...

Wow! Can I just say you are an amazing writer. I can't believe it's already October. The older we get the faster the time seems to go.

Shannon said...

Oh, there most certainly will be more Septembers for you. And yes, I know it's hard to see something you love pass, but also healing to let it pass. You're amazing Stef.

Niki McDowell said...

Hey I missed seeing you at Bonnies wedding, I wish you would have come, I haven't seen you forever. It was good to see your mom though.

Anonymous said...

Tonight I shed a tear for September too...

rachel said...

stef--that was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

The magnificent thing about the human mind is that we can make our own September anytime we wish. Keep your head up Stefstaresquire. It is up to you to make everyday a September day, or every day a February day.